When I started to think about the perfect sweet afternoon treat, or a Dairy Free addition to the Iftar table, I wanted to create something that was packed with protein and a little similar to the traditional ‘Syrup soaked’ Turkish treats that we savored growing up! 🙂
One of my favorites was the Revani Turkish cake that’s made with semolina flour, soaked in a lemon-flavored simple syrup. Absolutely delicious and so sweet that a small helping was more than enough!
So when I came up with this Sticky Date Donut, I wanted to create a DF and GF alternative, that looked not only inviting but after just 1 piece, you’re left with enough flavour and richness that going back for seconds may just happen the following day! 🙂
Let me know your thoughts in the comments below xx
High Protein Dairy and Gluten Free – Sticky Date Donuts
Makes 12 Donuts
Prep time: 15mins
Cook time: 25mins
2 cups dates (chopped and soaked in boiling water)
1 cup boiling water
¾ cup chickpea flour
1 cup almond flour
¾ cup organic coconut sugar
½ cup raw organic coconut oil melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 160°C Fan/180°C and grease your mini donut pans.
- In a large jug or bowl add your dates and pour over the boiled water, leave to soak while you prepare the mixture.
- Add the egg, coconut oil, sugar mix with a whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Next add the dates, you’ll notice they will have plumped up, and broken down a little.
- Slowly add in the chickpea and almond flours, bicarbonate of soda, nutmeg and stir with spatula until combined.
- Spoon into your donut pans.
- Pop into the oven for 20-25mins.
- To test if the donut is ready, insert a toothpick, if it’s ready it will come out clean, they will also be bouncy to the touch.
Best eaten warm, can also be reheated for 30 seconds in the microwave 🙂
For extra sweetness and stickiness – Melt some vegan butter in a pan and add some maple syrup. Stir for just 1-2 minutes before pouring over donut.
Serving Size: 1 Donut without extra syrup
Carbohydrate: 25.5 g
Fat: 12.4 g
Protein: 5.1 g