Oh how my St Patrick’s days have changed!!! 🙂 10 years ago I would have been planning a brunch celebration with perhaps too much alcohol somewhere, instead I’m developing healthy, Dairy Free, Gluten Free Green soup recipes! 🙂
There are so many reasons why I love Broccoli, like many whole foods, broccoli is packed with soluble fiber that draws cholesterol out of your body. This is because the fiber in broccoli helps bind with bile acids in the digestive tract. This makes excreting cholesterol out of our body easy. According to a research by the Institute of Food Research, a particular variety of broccoli can help reduce the blood LDL-cholesterol levels by 6 per cent.
Not many people are aware that broccoli can help to reduce allergic reaction and inflammation: Research has shown the ability of kaempferol to lessen the impact of allergy-related substances on our body. Broccoli even has significant amounts of omega 3 fatty acids, which is an anti-inflammatory and even more of a reason to love it!
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do! Leave me a comment below x
Broccoli Zucchini Soup (4 pax)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic gloves, crushed
½ teaspoon cumin
1 small broccoli head, cut into small florets
1 medium zucchini, cut into small pieces
½ teaspoon of salt OR 800ml homemade stock
1 handful fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
1. Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat and cook the onions, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes or until aromatic. Do not let the onions get brown.
2. Add cumin and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add broccoli, zucchini, water, vegetable stock and basil. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the vegetables soften, about 20 minutes.
4. Purée the soup with a stick blender, or working in small batches, pour the soup into a blender and purée until completely smooth.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste and basil leaves to serve.
6. Serve warm and enjoy!