Tahini. One of my all time favorite ingredients. Why? Well despite the fact that its highly nutritious and full of antioxidants – Tahini simply reminds me of my childhood.
Growing up working in my fathers Turkish restaurant in the UK. I loved the fresh hummus my mother and father would make every few days and the the creamy Tahini reminded me of the smells I would experience when travelling around Turkey and visiting family. 🙂
What is Tahini?
Tahini is a versatile condiment that’s made from sesame seeds and is a staple in many cuisines, especially in the Mediterranean and Middle East. It’s vegan, gluten-free, and is a common ingredient in dressings and pastries. The oil content in tahini is very high and it can easily go rancid but a good quality tahini made from 100% hulled sesame seeds should have an ultra creamy consistency, and it has an earthy, nutty flavor with little bitterness.
Tahini has a high fat content, and a high number of calories, so eat in moderation to take advantage of the amazing health benefits.
I hope you enjoy this delicious and satiating salad as much as I loved developing it!
Asian & Mediterranean Kale and Buckwheat salad with Green Tahini
LLWL – Phases 4
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
For the Salad
- 2 cups of kale shredded and chopped
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 bulb spring onion
- 2 cups cooked buckwheat groats
- 1 stick celery, chopped small
- 1 cup pomegranate
- 1 packet of tofu. (Cooked using the Air fried using crispy tofu recipe here)
Green Tahini Dressing
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 handful parsley
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons of grape mosses
- A squeeze of fresh lemon
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds
- Salt and pepper
To make the dressing:
- Mince the garlic into a mason jar.
- Add the lemon and molasses and shake well.
- Next add the tahini, water, salt and pepper shake to mix well.
- Then add this into a food processor or hand-blend in the spinach and parsley until the mixture is green.
- Transfer back into mason jar, add salt pepper and cumin seeds. For best results place in the fridge for 2 hours before using. (Store for max of 24 hours)
Shake well and refrigerate before pouring over salad.
For the salad.
Add all the ingredients minus the crispy Tofu into a mixing bowl.
Add a little of the dressing and mix well.
Transfer to a plate and add desired amount of Tofu, 8-10 cubes per plate is ideal.