When I was around 6 or 7 years old, growing up in London UK, there were so many dishes served in the school canteen that I didn’t particular enjoy. Mushy Peas, Chunky buttery mashed potatoes and Beef Sausages come to mind and The Rhubarb Crumble served for dessert was definitely on the list too!
I now know that it was because I could taste the thick, salty butter throughout those dishes and Dairy isn’t something that I crave or miss since going #Dairyfree 3 years ago! I have a good feeling there was a connection, even as a child!
I’ve been living in Dubai, UAE for the past 20 years and we are so fortunate to have access to amazing supermarkets and fresh produce here. So when I saw the beautiful bright pink Rhubarb in #waitrose recently, I decided to recreate an original Rhubarb Crumble using only Dairy and #glutenfree ingredients, and the end result was absolutely delicious! With the addition of the sweet apple and cinnamon this is sure to be a crowd pleaser at a gathering, and tastes even better served the following day!
Let me know how you like it in the comments below!
Rhubarb and Apple Crisp with Ginger and Cinnamon
Prep Time: 15mins
Cook Time: 50-55 mins
For the Crisp Topping:
½ Cup (65 g) Gluten Free flour
1 ½ Cups (135 g) Rolled or Porridge Oats
1 Cup (200 g) Coconut Sugar
¼ Cup (30 g) Ground almond (highly recommended but if you don’t have any simply omit it)
½ Cup (115 g) unsalted vegan butter
2 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ Tsp pink salt
For the filling:
5 cups (680g) diced Rhubarb
1 Cup (120g) Sweet diced Red Apple
½ Cup (150 g) Organic Coconut sugar
2 Tbsp. (20 g) Gluten Free flour
1 Tbsp Quality pure maple Syrup
1 thumb/ 1 Inch freshly grated Ginger
1. Preheat Oven to 180C Celsius.
2. Add all the Filling ingredients into a 13X9 inch baking dish. Stir well and evenly coat the bottom of the tray.
3. Add all the Crisp Topping ingredients to a food processor and pulse until combined and crumbly. (You can also do this in a mixing bowl and use hands if you don’t have a food processor)
4. Sprinkle the crisp evenly over the rhubarb mixture and bake for 40-45mins until the top is golden brown and the mixture is bubbling!
5. Serve warm with your favorite Dairy Free Ice Cream! Delish!