Do you find yourself craving something healthy but crispy with the crunch effect? Well look no further! This is the perfect plant based option without deep frying your food or the use of unhealthy oils!
Tofu is a ‘complete protein’ meaning it is a good source of plant based protein and contains all nine essential amino acids which are vital to our health.
Getting the moisture out of Tofu is key to making it crispy and flavorful!
Remove from packaging and set aside to drain. Place two sheets of paper towel on a small plate. Place the tofu on top. Then place two more sheets of paper towel on top of the tofu. Find something heavy such as a baking tray or cast-iron skillet and place it on top of the tofu.
Let that sit for about 30 minutes and change out the paper towel. Let this sit for a further 30 mins.
Prep Time: 45mins
Cook time: 30mins
LLWL Nutrition Guide – Phase 1
· 1 block Extra Firm Tofu 350-400 grams
· 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
· 1 Tbsp White Balsamic
· 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
· Pinch of Cayenne pepper
· ½ Tsp Paprika
· ¼ Tsp Salt
· ¼ Tsp Ground pepper
- In a medium size mixing bowl, add cayenne, salt, pepper, paprika and mix well. Add Olive oil, white balsamic, minced garlic and mix again. Set aside.
- Cut your tofu into large bite sized cubes. Place in a large food container. Pour all the mixture over the tofu, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F.
- Line a roast pan with parchment paper. Place tofu on it in an even layer and bake for approx. 30mins, turning once halfway through.
- Tofu is ready when crispy and golden on the outside.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately, or allow to cool completely, before refrigerating.
Tofu is a fabulous source of protein. Add to salads, or as a main dish over stir-fried vegetables and Rice/ Rice noodles