This is one of my favorite early afternoon sweet treats using only natural sweeteners packed with vitamins and healthy fats. The perfect bite to have alongside a Fresh green juice, Matcha or your favorite cup of Tea or Coffee.
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 Cup Raw organic honey
- 8 pitted dates (soaked and chopped into small pieces)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 cups carrots about 4 medium, grated
Walnuts and sunflower seed butter to decorate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and coat a round spring pan with coconut oil.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and ginger and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, raw honey, and almond milk.
- Add the wet to the dry and stir until just incorporated, Fold in the carrots and dates.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack until the cake reaches room temperature before frosting with seed butter and decorating with walnuts.
A quick note about coffee 🙂
Being more environmentally conscious this year – we have just made the switch from using a coffee pod machine to using an expresso machine with fresh ground coffee at home and I couldn’t be happier!
I started reminiscing about travelling to Italy, quite a few moons ago now, during my flight attendant days, when visiting the coffee shops was a regular thing for me! I remember loving Fresh espresso as it has a complex flavour, often quite nutty with a sweet aftertaste. With the pod machines, I found that no matter what brand or strength I was buying, most left me with a bitter aftertaste.
If you’re thinking about making the switch there is plenty of choice but here’s the link to the De’Longhi Espresso Machine that we went for, happens to be a great deal too!