I have to admit this is one of my all-time favorite vegan and gluten-free creations to date! It may be a little time consuming but well worth it and a definite crowd pleaser! I made the béchamel using buckwheat flour and Nutritional yeast, and topped it with dairy free grated cheese to give it that creamy (ricotta like) texture. I also made the red pepper and tomato sauce from scratch but you can use your own homemade favorite or a store bought one depending on your preference. Prep time: 1.5 hours Cook Time: 1 hour
Serves 6 For the Lasagna filling 2 cups of sliced Mushrooms 2 cups of washed baby Spinach 2 cups of washed baby kale 2 cloves of garlic 1 whole spaghetti squash/ cut in half, add a little Olive oil, salt and pepper 300grams of grated vegan cheese 5 slices of vegan cheese broken into pieces and scattered
Red pepper and tomato sauce 3 Red capsicums 3 Large plum tomatoes 2 cloves of garlic 2 tbsp maple syrup 1/4 tsp pink salt Buckwheat Béchamel 2 tablespoons of dairy free butter ¼ cup buckwheat flour ¼ cup nutritional yeast 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 Box of gluten Free Lasagna Sheets
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees and roast spaghetti squash for 1.5 hours.
- In a different baking tin, add a little salt and pepper and a touch of olive oil to roast tomatoes and peppers for 20mins. Remove from oven and pour over maple syrup. Roast for a further 20mins.
- Remove the skin from both tomatoes and peppers, add to a blender or food processor with the garlic and salt. Pulses until chunky or desired consistency.
- Add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to a frying pan on medium heat, add minced garlic and mushrooms. Cook until brown.
- Add 1/4 cup of Coconut Aminos. And 1/4 cup of water.
- Add spinach and Kale, cook for 2-3mins to wilt and absorb the sauce. Remove from heat.
- To make the Béchamel, add the vegan butter to a saucepan and melt on low heat. Add the flour slowly and then start adding in the milk little by little so that the flour starts to cook. This should take approx. 5-8mins to get a nice cream like consistency.
- Add in the nutritional yeast and stir for 1-2 mins. Remove from heat.
- Remove spaghetti squash when cooked and start to fork out the mixture.
- Now start to layer the lasagna into a large classic rectangular 9″ x 13″ Bakeware Dish starting with some sauce at the bottom to keep the Lasagna sheets nice and moist.
- Layer with all the fillings at least 2 times until you can see the squash and grated cheese on the top layer.
- Bake for 50mins-1hour at 180degrees.
The tableware featured in this picture can be found on the Simply Chef Website.
Are you getting enough plants this Veganuary? Let me know if you enjoy this one in the comments below! 😊